Points of Friction
The team identified many different points of friction that make it difficult for people to find, create, trust or use data.
None of these points of friction will stop someone from engaging with a single dataset one time, but would be a problem for those needing to work with the data regularly.
The cumulative effect of all these points of friction multiplied across many datasets is a significant barrier to innovation and the ability of people to use the data.
- Asking for open data isn’t open data
- Data collection is hard to keep up to date
- Data is inaccessible
- Data is not always available in bulk
- Data is often hard to trust
- Data is often published as statistics
- Data often isn't available as data
- Data use is restricted
- Fear of feedback
- Lack of value seen in publishing data
- The same data is inconsistent across publishers
- Uncertainty around what data is needed